The reality television club reacts to The Bachelor season finale

Matt James, the bachelor for the most recent season. (Photo by Paige Gawley)
By Jack Glavy–

Bored on Jan. 7, 2020, senior Cole Pervall began scrolling through Hulu trying to find a new show to watch. 

“I’ve never seen this before,” Peverall said, looking at The Bachelor on his television screen.

He watched around half of the three-hour episode and was hooked. 

“I’ll finish it tomorrow,” he said, eager to watch it after school.

The next day, he finished the episode and started talking with one of his friends, Zach Merkle, about the show. They began watching The Bachelor together, gathered more friends to join and decided to create a club to talk about the show.

The club currently has about 15 members and math teacher Ms. Sarah Washington, math teacher, moderates it. Before school became virtual, the club would meet in person to discuss recent episodes or watch old seasons. After COVID-19 hit, their meetings shifted to Zoom.

“We would meet over Zoom and talk about the latest episode and what we think is going to happen,” Peverall said.

During hybrid, they would hold meetings in Ms. Washington’s room where students could attend either virtual or in-person.

Recently on Thursday, March 18, Peverall’s reality television club met to discuss the season finale of The Bachelor, which aired on Monday, March 15. He wasn’t a huge fan of the finale nor the season as a whole, but he still enjoyed talking about it with his fellow club members.

“I thought it was pretty boring,” Peverall said about the recent season.

He didn’t really like Matt, the bachelor, nor the contestants very much.

“I feel like you didn’t get to know him or the girls that well,” Peverall said.

In their defense, he also thinks that this season’s issues lied more with the production team than with the people.

“The production decided that they were just going to focus more on drama than important moments,” Peverall said.

Even with The Bachelor over, the reality television club still has more to offer. They plan on watching The Bachelorette, Survivor, The Voice, as well as old seasons of The Bachelor. Their next meeting is Thursday, March 25.