How Gonzaga has Adapted to Covid-19

Gonzaga Seniors pose for signing day on the field; this is one of the many events that had a different format because of covid. (Photo from Gonzaga Twitter)

The pandemic has affected everyone in the world and Gonzaga is no exception. Everything has been changed, and for the near future, the protocols put in place like social distancing and mask wearing look like they are here for the foreseeable future; schools have had to find ways to adapt in order  to do their  special events and everyday routines like class. 

Many schools struggled with online education when the pandemic started, but Gonzaga transitioned pretty smoothly. Gonzaga was prepared for the switch to online learning better than most other schools. 

Classes are not the only aspect of school life that has undergone a major change; every other facet of school, whether it be sporting events, graduations or annual assemblies has had to adapt this year. 

Mr. Conrad Singh, manager of digital media and multimedia productions, briefly talked about how the events were different this year. He explained that so many events are held at Gonzaga that no one would think about, like the many breakfasts and Masses, which also had to change because of the pandemic.

“They are now all virtual, on Zoom meetings or google hangouts. While they are not as fun, they are still efficient and get the necessary information across,” Mr. Singh said.

He said on the reality of the world we live in.

The senior day for spring sports last year was all virtual and that is an example of a massive event being made virtual. While COVID-19 restrictions start to slowly fade away, more events like Kairos transition to in-person events again with much more safety protocols.

Gonzaga has handled this like everyone expected, very well. Obviously the pandemic has changed way more than just the things mentioned but those are some of the biggest changes. The pandemic has definitely made many Gonzaga students even more grateful to be a part of a school like Gonzaga because of how much it cares for their students. 

View Comments (1)