The need for a personal finance class

The need for personal finance classes is increasing as students enter the world. (Word Cloud by www.epictop10.com).

Last semester, I took personal finance, which was one of the best classes that I have taken at Gonzaga. Not only was it something that I was interested in, but it was also something that taught me essential life skills.

Going into the real world, students should know how to manage their money and invest it correctly. By taking personal finance students learn how to invest, manage their money with a budget and learn how to get loans. These essential life skills prepare students for the real world.

I learned how to make a budget that I could follow, seeing what I wasted my money on and how I could use that money that I was once wasting to invest. I learned how to build a good credit score, making it easier to get loans in the future. It was one of the most helpful classes that I have taken at Gonzaga. Students in high schools all around America should participate in a course that teaches them personal finance skills, even if it is not for a full semester or year.

Many students who come from underprivileged schools and huge public schools do not have the opportunity to participate in a course like personal finance. These students come out of high school unprepared and at a disadvantage compared to many other students who have the opportunity to participate in personal finance.

These students will oftentimes get to college or get a job out of high school and end up being confused with being independent and having to manage their money on their own. This leads to them wasting their time and money on things that are not even important to them.

Having a personal finance class in high school would provide for these types of students as they will be able to manage their money and create a budget which they can follow for the start of their college career or first job. 

A personal finance class would not only help students that are just out of high school, but it would also provide them with skills that they can use throughout the rest of their lives.

View Comments (1)