America on a global level

Photo via (https://www.123rf.com/photo_39057635_earth-globe-elements-of-this-image-furnished.html)

American economics plays a vital role throughout conversation on Eye Street, even if you don’t take Mr. Conor Scott’s AP Economics class. Many of the teachers on campus have extremely insightful information about global affairs, global trade, and international ideologies in regards to how it affects our country. 

Throughout my time at Gonzaga, I have been able to see how history plays into where our economy stands. After reading the article, America’s Self-Defeating Economic Retreat (Foreignaffairs.com), the landscape of my position of the United States’ approach to global trade shifted. 

Other nations, especially China and many members of the EU, have continually opened up for trade and integration; meanwhile, America continues to build political campaigns, legislation, and infrastructure that try to fix the old “American” workforce that does not exist anymore.  

As a result of protecting specific American industries and economic entities, America continues to drop the ball on the globalization of trade and commerce, which ultimately could help the nation build deeper relationships with other countries and move closer to common prosperity. 

Our economy is so fixated on returning “American jobs” and not focusing on the self-harming aspect of native competition that exploits workers, adds discrepancies to wages, and defeats our ability to bring more business into American sanctions. 

In concurrence to the article, America needs to move towards adaptability in trade with other countries. With this pandemic, we have seen how COVID-19 has infringed our economy and caused upheaval within human rights and equality. By increasing our global trade and getting rid of our outdated ideologies of protectionism from other countries’ economies, we will see economic growth, prosperity between high-earning democracies, and hopefully a joint effort in ending the widespread illness of the COVID-19.