International food fair: a unanimous school favorite day

Spaghetti was one of the many dishes served at Gonzaga’s International Food Fair. Photo from Mr. Coach Singh/ Gonzaga Flickr

The International Food Fair, a day to cherish the cultural backgrounds of all the faculty and students through food, at Gonzaga College High School on April 19 ended in large success, but more importantly, it left the faculty and students wanting more.  From Southern Chicken to Eastern European Perogies, the International Food Fair had it all.  

“I loved everything about the day, I wish there were more events like this throughout the year,“ said Matthew O’Callaghan, senior. 

Indeed, the International Food Fair reeled in everybody’s hearts and stomachs for more; however, the process to set up this event was rather difficult.

Feeding 1,200 people is no easy task, and it certainly does not make it easier when the premise of the day is to allow folks to eat from several different cuisine styles.  So who set up the food fair?  Well, who else but the Gonzaga Mother’s Club. 

Thanks to hundreds of Gonzaga mothers, the International Food Fair ran smoothly.  Nevertheless, former GMC president Mrs. Kristen Allen chaired the event with Mrs. Kelly Hastings, Mrs. Be-Be Hernandez, Mrs. Caty Keeler and Mrs. Margaret McGovern.

“The food fair was not a stroke of luck; it took precision, teamwork and organized calculation in order to allow for a beautiful day like this,” said avid GMC volunteer Mrs. Maria Kozuch, who worked the preparation, serving, and clean-up work.

Three different waves of students, organized into sections A, B and C, were meticulously structured to allow each person who paid for the event to eat whatever they wanted during this lunch period.

“The plethora of different types of food that was brought in showed just how global the Gonzaga community really is,” Mrs. Maria Kozuch said.

Moreover, the number of volunteers and hard work put into this event was remarkable.  The International Food Fair, which celebrates Gonzaga’s globalness and generosity, is sure to become a perennial event on Eye Street.