Lockdown thoughts

Lockdown+thoughts

Like many kids across the country, I saw distance learning and extended quarantine as a blessing.  I was behind on work, stressed from life’s normal hustle and bustle and operating on four to six hours of sleep every day.  One month later, this twisted vacation isn’t as much fun.

After spending the first few days of quarantine sitting around, playing video games and sleeping in until noon, I realized that I did not actually have any real hobbies.  Migrating from cushion to cushion on my couch, I was somewhat disturbed at my lack of inspiration. It took a while to get out of my sluggish routine, but eventually I did crawl out of my lazy ways and give my quarantined life at least some purpose.

I started working out regularly for the first time in my life and taking care of my body.  Sports at Gonzaga kept me in reasonable shape during the season, but I’ve never been one to willingly exercise.  I am no bodybuilder, but doing some daily physical activity has kept me in higher spirits and less down in these tough times.

Architectural shoot with Coakley Williams Construction.

Additionally, my time away from school has made me much more grateful for the activities I normally took for granted.  Fast food, friends and freedom all make the list for the parts of usual life I would really love to indulge in right about now.  I have Facetimed countless peers to check in, realizing just how much I miss those once dreadful Metro rides into DC.

While this journey is anything but enjoyable, I think it could do a lot of good for us as individuals and society as a whole.  The exponentially increasing

rates of job loss, bankruptcy and general unpreparedness may incite positive change in our government and economic system in the future.  Furthermore, I know I will value the everyday amenities around me after the lockdown much more than I once did. As cheesy as it sounds, I think the phrase “live life to the fullest” will be taken much more seriously.  As someone who was once content wasting a weekend in front of the TV, I think I will take advantage of the world around me more in the future.

On a larger scale, the earth is changing, as well.  With climate change issues headlining many of the world’s leading news sites, it’s amazing to see how quickly the planet has snapped back to a greener, more lush, state.  Between Los Angeles ditching the smog and Venice seeing clear water once again, the environment has made shockingly productive use of this pause in human pollution.  Ideally, those in power could store that information in the back of their minds for future endeavors once a pandemic abandons its post as the most pressing issue.

I have wavered between complete despair and optimistic expectations throughout my time at home, but I think if we continue to act reasonably and trust those most informed the human race will come out stronger and smarter than ever on the other end.

View Comments (3)