Hiatus Kaiyote: hitting the high notes with ‘Love Heart Cheat Code’

The album cover for Hiatus Kaiyotes upcoming album Love Heart Cheat Code
The album cover for Hiatus Kaiyote’s upcoming album “Love Heart Cheat Code”

In preparation for the release of their fourth studio album Love Heart Cheat Code, the Australian neo-soul jazz-funk fusion band Hiatus Kaiyote has returned with two new mesmerizing singles, “Everything’s Beautiful” and “Make Friends.” If these new tracks are any indication of what is to come in their complete body of work, fans and listeners alike should be excited for this new funky feel-along with amazing vocals and what seems to be a newfound feeling of creativity. 

“Everything’s Beautiful” is a funk-filled masterpiece that’s instrumental was crafted by bassist Paul Bender, keyboardist Simon Mavin, drummer Perrin Moss, and guitarist/lead vocalist Nai Palm. From the opening, listeners can instantly feel the rhythm of the track. 

This upbeat instrumentation is a slight contrast to the much more laid-back sound of “Make Friends.” While this song also carries heavy funk influences, the mellow feel of the track highlights the band’s strong suit, mixing and combining genres. The upcoming album should be exciting for the fans who love a funkier sound to Hiatus Kaiyote. 

Singer Nai Palm’s vocals should also intrigue fans as her vocals are the true highlight of the two singles. On both tracks, Nai Palm floats over the instruments whether she is flowing alongside the bass, harmonizing with her guitar or belting riffs. A standout part of these records is the clarity across both tracks.

Hiatus Kaiyote | Another Planet Entertainment

In their last studio album, Mood Valiant released in 2021, Nai Palm’s vocals became drowned out in the instrumentals in a few of the tracks like “Sparkle Tape Break Up” and “All The Words We Don’t Say.” Across this album, the band experimented with elements of electronic music whose loud production sometimes overpowered Nai Palm’s soft singing at times. 

The band seems to be abandoning these electronic sounds on their new album which may be a great sign due to how potent and lively their lead singer sounds on the new singles. Listeners should look forward to hearing all of Nai Palm’s vocals in full effect in the band’s next album. 

The band also seems to be hitting a creative high while creating and promoting their album. Before releasing their two singles, the band released trailers and teasers for their songs to get their fans excited. Not only have they been promoting their singles, but they have also been promoting their upcoming album and their upcoming tour. 

The band seems genuinely excited to be back releasing music and interacting with its fans after their three-year hiatus from music as a band, so as long as the band is enthusiastic about making music, the fans should be equally excited.

Prior to the release of their album Love Heart Cheat Code on June 28, you should consider checking out their music. Their genre-mixing music makes it easy for all wakes of people to enjoy and music made by enthusiastic artists should be cherished in this day and age.