Why an all-you-can-eat buffet is the best day of my year

Gonzaga students share a meal together and a few laughs. (Photos from Gonzaga College High School Flickr)
By Jesse Dolojan—

Imagine walking into a giant basketball court, only you do not see a game being played; even though there isn’t an intense game between rivals going on, what you see on the court still makes you beyond happy. Rather than a game, you can see all sorts of food in front of you—enchiladas, lumpia, crepes, and fried chicken; if you can name it, it’s probably in front of you.

This is the magic of the annual International Food Fair. It’s universally loved by the entire Gonzaga community, with some even calling it the best day of the year. Some teachers even offer advice during class on how to eat as much food as possible.

It is an event that is marked on everyone’s calendar, thinking about and planning how to eat as much food as possible in the amount of time given, and maybe more importantly, how to avoid being sick.

Gonzaga moms get ready to serve food to the students at the International Food Fair. (Photos from Gonzaga College High School Flickr)

Some students, such as myself, have discussed the best methods and practices that allow for one to eat as much food as possible. I usually go for a banana for breakfast, eat as much as can fit onto my plate for lunch; and eat nothing for dinner because I still feel sick despite months of planning.

The International Food Fair is a celebration of the community of Gonzaga, specifically the vast and rich diversity that is present. It is a celebration of cultures because of how it invites food from every nationality, letting people express themselves through cooking and sharing it with others who eat the food. 

In past years, people would gather outside to be around friends and eat as much food as possible. A personal tale of mine was when I started grabbing every kind of chicken wing that was being served. I forgot how many wings I ended up with, but I do remember how happy I was to eat so many wings. 

The idea of so much food and so many people in one place in the middle of a pandemic is hard to think of, but Gonzaga is working hard to find a way to make it work. What the International Food Fair means to Gonzaga and its community is too important to lose, especially during times like these. 

Being able to simply go into a basketball court, grab your favorite foods, and talk to your friends is such a simple but amazing way to celebrate our Gonzaga Brotherhood.