New lunch program may be best addition to campus this year

Gonzaga’s adaptations to COVID-19 created our new and improved lunch, as well as student and faculty lines. (Photo by Jonathan Howell)

Gonzaga’s new lunch program might be the best addition to campus this year. With all of the craziness going on in the world, Gonzaga was able to allow students on campus last October. Although the whole student body remains split into three cohorts, the administration has created fantastic new ways to better the experience here on Eye Street. Whether it be the fun after-school activities or the ability to wear any type of shoes, there should be no excuse to not come into class. The best part that has come from all of these new improvements is the free lunch.

Depending on the day, students can have their choice of salad, cold subs, hot foods and chips and lemonade on the side. What else possibly could there be to ask for? Cookies? Don’t worry. Sage provides them warm, tasty and made with love. It’s not every day that free food is provided with plentiful options and delicious taste. Gonzaga’s and Sage’s teamwork makes the experience of being back on campus even better than imagined.

Ever since freshman year, I remember hearing peers hype Sage up or say that it wasn’t their preferred choice of food. Before COVID-19, lunches with Sage consisted of copious amounts of foods, including fries, burgers, sandwiches and pasta, but some students weren’t satisfied. Whether one was pro-Sage or no-Sage in previous years, it’s not possible that someone could dislike the new and improved food.

It does happen to be true that “free” isn’t as good as it always seems. Lunch has to be paid somehow, obviously. A person might argue that giving students free food would create a higher cost in tuition in the end, and this would be the worst possible thing during a pandemic because people all over the United States are struggling with salaries currently. Don’t worry, though; free lunch isn’t making the cost of school greater this year, if anything… it’s just making our bellies bigger. 

Once again, free lunch might be the greatest Gonzaga “W” in my past four years at Gonzaga. Winning a WCAC championship is nice and all, but I mean… free food, it’s not possible to argue with that. Hopefully, this new lunchtime treat will bring in more and more students to campus as the end of the year gets closer. Cohorts are already seeing rises in numbers compared to the first semester, and I have no doubt in my mind that free lunch has been a helping hand in welcoming students back to Eye Street.

View Comments (2)