Covid restrictions finally lightening

People in DC who are vaccinated will no longer have to wear a mask.

The light at the end of the dark tunnel that is COVID-19 is finally starting to shine. Just recently, Mayor Murial Bowser of Washington DC announced that the vaccine is now available to people over the age of 16. Additionally, she announced that some rules and guidelines will be loosened. 

Even though the goal is to have the vaccine available to all groups and ages by sometime in May, not everyone will actually get the shots by then due to the lack of available vaccines and other personal reasons. Mask restrictions have been lightened for vaccinated people under the mayor’s latest demands. Those who are vaccinated do not need a mask outside unless they are in a large group of people. Unvaccinated people must continue to wear masks when they’re likely to encounter another person. Previous exceptions including for exercise and eating remain. 

Masks are always required for drivers of rideshares, buses, taxis, vans, school buses and other forms of transit, The D.C Department of Health says. Vaccinated people can gather indoors in a small group without wearing masks. But Bowser’s recent order means people who have waited two weeks past their final dose of coronavirus vaccine now have the ability to exercise, socialize, shop and worship maskless for the first time in months. While rules are still strictly enforced, most states are on the same trajectory and loosening restrictions as more and more people get vaccinated. 

“Take a mask with you when you leave your home, then also respect signs at the places you are visiting,” Bowser said. “If a business posts a sign indicating that masks are required, then you must follow their request . . . or they could deny you entry.”

For how difficult this past year has been, positive news has not come often, so it is extremely refreshing to have normalcy return at a slow and steady pace. It is looking more and more like by sometime this summer everyone can safely operate in a completely normal world.