Gonzaga hosts second annual science fair with Washington Jesuit Academy

George Koutrouvelis, sophomore, presents with his student partner from WJA. Photo by Joey and Enzo Bunag /Photo II

Gonzaga’s Upper Commons is typically covered and scattered with circular tables, backpacks and chairs, but on Feb. 17 Washington Jesuit Academy and a number of  Gonzaga College High School students participated in the second annual science fair. On this day, the tables were folded up and students from WJA showed up on Eye Street to display their science fair presentations. The day was an opportunity for students to show off new knowledge and for Gonzaga students to connect with members of our greater Washington, D.C. community in an academic manner. 

The original goal was to get more students exposed to scientific research, which slowly turned into a full-force science fair. Washington Jesuit Academy students are paired with a Gonzaga student to complete a project and display their knowledge. 

John Corso stepped aside this year to guide Teddy Friesz in his first year as the main student organizer alongside Mr. Drew Hudspeth, science teacher, helping on the faculty side. They founded the fair last year. 

“We knew we wouldn’t be able to get everyone hooked on science, but both years so far we’ve had some kids that really love the program, and realize they love the lab,” Said Corso.

Corso and Mr. Hudspeth have seen the fair to be an overall success as many students have been involved. The Science fair has brought new knowledge to a whole new set of students  and given Gonzaga students the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. Through the fair Corso has been able to see many creative ideas and unique minds go to work.

“Definitely some characters, and some kids with really diverse interests. It always amazes me the projects the students are able to come up with,” Corso said.

A panel of judges including Dr. Kathleen, Dr. Diana Glick, Dr. James Deye, Mr. Brian Gaudet, and Ms. Sierra Gardner evaluated each project. Photo by Enzo and Joey Bunag/Photo II

Judges help decide who wins the contest every year, which adds another element to the big day.

“Our judges have so much experience, knowledge, and insight. They all know their stuff and are willing to share their time and talent.” 

This will be Corso’s last year in charge of the fair since he is a senior, but don’t worry, the fair is not going anywhere. 

​​”In an effort to ensure continuity after I graduate, I passed the coordinator role over to [junior]Teddy Friesz and mainly assisted in getting the components over the fair over the finish line,” Corso said.

Corso is proud of how the fair has turned out and all of the hard work that was put in to organize it. It was not an overnight process. 

“The fair required a lot of coordination between Gonzaga and WJA, as well as recruiting mentors and setting up assignments to guide students through,” he explained.

Next year expect to see this hard year continued as students get together to display their knowledge once again.