Kairos: an essential piece of an Eagle’s time at Gonzaga

Students get a chance to make new connections and build the brotherhood. Photo by Mrs. Teresa Jackson

Kairos is an essential piece of Gonzaga’s student’s experience. Seniors only have two more chances to attend, and applications are opening soon for the final Kairos. Juniors can now also attend Kairos retreats but preference will be given to seniors. 

“Kairos was a time to strengthen my relationship with God,” said Owen Kent ‘24, an alumnus of the retreat. 

Kairos means time, specifically in reference to “God’s Time”. On Kairos, retreatants are given plenty of time to talk to God and build a deeper relationship.

“We’re able to get a sense of our experience of ourselves, of others and God, and to be able to savor and treasure that experience and then to be able to bring that into our everyday life and mission here on Eye Street and beyond,” said Fr. Pat Nolan, director of campus ministry and Ignatian identity.

Kairos and the treasured moments on the retreat can help us find a deeper understanding of ourselves and our purpose, which retreatants can bring to Eye Street and beyond.

“It helps you build the brotherhood with others,” said Mikey Settles ‘24, an alumnus and leader of the upcoming Kairos CLXXIV.

Kairos digs deep into the grad-to-grad statement “Open to Growth,” which means that a student is willing to change and experience new things. During Kairos, retreatants can form and deepen connections with peers they have never met before by playing, basketball, football or board games, or they can open up their aperture to different sides of situations to which they have not been exposed, too.

“It’s an important time for self-reflection,” said Andrew Kozeny ‘24, a leader of Kairos CLXXV.

On Kairos, Kozeny had valuable time to reflect on himself, his relationships and his relationships with God. It was a great time to relax and focus.

“The leaders made me feel right at home,” Kozeny said.

During Kairos, retreatants are led by fellow peers and teachers, and teachers and students give talks to the retreatants about their life. They get to learn more about teachers on a more personal level.

“Kairos is a life-changing experience,” Kozeny said.

Kairos is a truly unique and once-in-a-lifetime experience that a Gonzaga student simply cannot miss.