Pep rally kicks off championship night for basketball and hockey

Gonzaga Students Rally Behind Varsity Basketball and Hockey Teams.

Gonzaga’s varsity basketball and hockey teams will play in their respective championships tonight, marking the culmination of a season of hard work. The Gonzaga Booster Club held a pep rally after school to set the tone for the championship games. Gonzaga has held plenty of pep rallies over the years and is a tradition for the biggest games of the year. 

Booster Club member Finn Mooney ’24 discussed how the pep rally helps the student body get ready to support their classmates in the big games.

“The pep rally is a great way to get all the students fired up for the big games tonight, and provides motivation for the players and coaches,” Mooney said.  

The varsity basketball team faces up against Paul VI in the WCAC Championship tonight, and it looks to be one of the best games of the year. Paul VI currently stands as the number 2 ranked team in the nation with Gonzaga currently ranked number 8. Both teams are stacked with nationally ranked talent and will be without a doubt an impeccable game. Gonzaga is looking to cap off a great season thus far. They currently sit at 27-4 and look to add a WCAC Championship to that resume. The game tonight will take place at American University at 8  p.m. 

Both the varsity 1 and varsity 2 hockey teams are in their respective Mid-Atlantic Prep Hockey League (MAPHL) Championships. V2 will face St. Stephens & St. Agnes in looking to win their third MAPHL A division championship in a row. V2 currently sits at 15-7-1 on the season, with a tie against St. Stephens earlier this season. V1 goes up against St. John’s for the MAPHL AA division Championship, which will be their sixth matchup against each other this season. Gonzaga and St. John’s are the top two teams in the MAPHL for the second straight year. The V1 team comes into the championship hot off of decisive wins in the quarter-finals and semi-finals in pursuit of the MAPHL Championship. Both Games will take place at the Gardens Ice House with V2 playing at 5 p.m. and V1 playing at 7:30 p.m.

Streaming is available for all the games via the links below:

Basketball: https://www.youtube.com/@1stAmendmentSports 

Hockey: https://www.capitalscup.com/maphl-aa-division