SGA organizes Gonzaga Fest despite pandemic

Students sitting in the Carmody Center waiting for the opening ceremony to begin at Gonzaga Fest in 2019. Picture from Gonzaga Fest Flickr.

With Zoom classes dragging on and the days getting longer and longer, Gonzaga students have been looking for a day off. Gonzaga Fest offers just the break needed with bubble soccer, tug of war, mini golf, giant Jenga, lunch with the boys on Eye Street and no Zoom classes. 

Last school year, Mrs. Peggy Metcalf introduced this new tradition to the Gonzaga community. On Oct. 31, 2019, students watched their classmates gobble down hot dogs, race down Eye Street on chariots and just take a day to relax and compete with their friends. This year, Gonzaga Students will get the chance to do the same again in their cohorts. The Xavier cohort will be on Feb. 12, the Ignatius cohort will be on March 17, and the Aloysius cohort will be on April 21.

It’s going to be extremely similar to last year’s Gonzaga Fest,” said senior Timmy Shaheen, Gonzaga Fest chairman.

Gonzaga Fest is one of the few activities that will bring the whole community together this year. Students will be interacting with their classmates and teachers all over campus. Although it will be harder for students to roam the halls freely, the SGA has been working diligently to make Gonzaga Fest memorable.

“For every activity that we had to replace from last year, we’re replacing it with two new ones,” said Mak Krivka, senior and president of the Student Government Association.

Mak Krivka, senior, senior, Ryan Bond, senior, George Clifford, Class of 2020, and Alex Gerlach, senior, pose for a picture after Bond won the hot dog eating contest in 2019. Picture from Gonzaga Fest Flickr.

For freshmen struggling to meet people, Gonzaga Fest will provide opportunities to  make relationships with their peers and upperclassmen. Last year, a giant Jenga game lasted two hours between a team of freshmen and a team of seniors. Gonzaga Fest will show the true spirit of Gonzaga and show freshmen that Gonzaga is more than just a school.

“What we are about is camaraderie, competition, getting pumped about stuff and finding silly moments hilarious. I hope that you get a whole day to spend with your friends competing with them laughing, you know, winning,” said Caitlin Farley, science teacher and co-moderator of the SGA.

Gonzaga Fest will do just that. With many activities, indoor and outdoor, students will have the opportunity to build relationships that haven’t been made yet and will be able to just kick back and relax for a day full of fun. There will be Spikeball, volleyball, poker tournaments, mini golf, Jeopardy with choir teacher Mr. Jeremy Young and Shaheen’s favorite activity— a rumored slip and slide depending on the weather.

Students who are fully virtual will also have the opportunity to participate in Gonzaga Fest. As of now, there will be a video game competition and the opening ceremony will be posted online. Gonzaga Fest is more focused on the on-campus activities, but the SGA is working on ways that students can participate virtually.

“Seeing each other outside of the classroom and outside of the zoom box, not doing anything academic for one day just having so much fun together and seeing your teachers get excited to have fun with you … I think that’s going to remind people that we’re here for the spirit we’re here for the relationships,” Farley said.

Obviously the pandemic has affected Gonzaga Fest, but it is a new tradition that must be carried on, even in the hardest year in school history. Even though students may not be able to pack into the gym and go crazy chanting cheers led by the Booster Club, many hope the Gonzaga spirit will be stronger and more present than ever at Gonzaga Fest this year.

“In a way, Gonzaga Fest defines Gonzaga; there’s so much school spirit on that day that everyone who ends up going just ends up loving it,” Shaheen said.

Students prepare for the hot dog eating contest. Picture from Gonzaga Fest Flickr.
    View Comments (1)