The future of “snow” days with online school

Eye Street covered in snow. Picture courtesy of Mr. Conrad Singh.

With the implementation of online chat and video systems for school due to the ongoing pandemic, the future of what students know as snow days may begin to look very different in the future. The snow storm the Washington, D.C. area experienced over the Jan. 31 weekend may have previewed just how schools will handle snow days in the future. 

“I think Zoom does present a new opportunity for us to not miss as much class as we might with a major weather event,” said Mr. Tom Every, headmaster at Gonzaga College High School.

In the last two decades, data from the National Weather Service shows the average snowfall in the DC area totaled 14.3 inches with very minimal snowfall the past few years. While the Washington, D.C. area has not seen significant snowfall in recent years, the area does see occasional weather, which can cause challenges for both students and teachers who live all over the DMV.

“We don’t want to take the joy out of life. If there’s a real snow event that requires people to shovel and clear off their cars, that’s the kind of day we would probably call as a snow day,” Mr. Every said.

Often, if the Washington, D.C. area has any instances of snow, it is usually rare that schools need to cancel for more than one day.

“Maybe the second day we’d say, ‘Okay we’re doing zoom classes’ and then on the third day we’re back on campus,” Mr. Every said.

As important it is to not miss large amounts of school, students and teachers enjoy many benefits to having an unexpected day off every once in a while.

“We need our snow days, and I still love traditional snow days. It’s a mental health break; it’s a screen break,” said Mr. Jim Kilroy, dean of students.

As students know very well, snow days are a great break from the usual hustle and bustle of any normal school week. As a student, it is hard not to enjoy a day off a school even if a teacher assigns some extra work. Even though snow days seem great, sometimes problems arise for both teachers and students, and days off can add more stress to already stressful weeks. Missing multiple days of class obviously pauses instruction, and it leads students and teachers to do more work in a shorter time period to make up for any missed instruction.

Gonzaga senior Jonathan Hoffman with his snowman representation of President JFK. Picture courtesy of Jonathan Hoffman.

“If we do get a week off, in theory, that’s great, but it can be really interruptive,” Mr. Kilroy said.

Although snow days can add more stress and work, they are still a relaxing luxury. With the snowfall in the Washington, D.C. area over the weekend of Jan. 31, Gonzaga students and teachers enjoyed a full day off on Monday Feb. 1, followed with an all virtual day on Tuesday Feb. 2. Students enjoyed the day off in numerous ways, including an extra credit opportunity in Mrs. Peggy

Metcalf’s AP Government and Politics: U.S. class, in which students made a snowman representing a historical figure for extra credit.

“The snow day was a good break from being inside all day on zoom. I got to see a couple friends and have a day off, which was nice,” said Jonathan Hofmann, senior.

View Comments (1)